"Hindsight is always twenty-twenty. " Billy Wilder
"Hindsight is an exact science. " Guy Bellamy

06 April 2011

Hosier Lane revisited

Having missed out on the class excursion to Hosier Lane, I decided to make my own solo journey there. On this occasion, the lane was bustling with artists and tourists - it was quite an opportunity to gather a collection of colourful images for a photo-essay.

I found it quite a challenge to edit the essay in Premiere Pro. Too much “Ken Burns Effects *” can be distracting, in the same way as a succession of still images has connotations of a boring old-fashioned slide show. In this case, I opted for moderation, resisted quick cuts and fancy transitions. But where are all those sound effects when you need them? – High-heeled shoes on cobblestones proved a challenge. Ended up, in the end, making a loop in Soundbooth from some old footage I found. Making this simple short essay took more time than anticipated!


It could be an interesting challenge to give everybody the same collection of images and see how different the editing would be! Anyhow, this is my take on Hosier Lane.




* "Ken Burns Effect"

No comments:

Post a Comment