"Hindsight is always twenty-twenty. " Billy Wilder
"Hindsight is an exact science. " Guy Bellamy

24 February 2010

Interactive stationary

My primary school stationary supply consisted of 2 nibs, bottle of ink, 2 pencils, rubber, blotter and 2 ruled exercise books, quite a treasure at a time of rationing. Teaching was totally focused on the 3 R’s .

One exercise book was used for rough work in pencil and the other for finished work in ink. My closest approach to artistic expression was the erratic despatch of inkblots in my good book. The teacher, in her wisdom, circled the blots, like my endless spelling mistakes, in red ink. Although I did not know it at the time, it was my first experience of interactive art!
How I enjoyed tearing up my ‘Hoover drawing’ and then re-assembling the mess with bits of paper, masking tape, paint and what ever was at hand. Re-drawing with charcoal so it yet again resembled the vacuum cleaner. That was just pure, liberating fun! However, in the picture above, do I see the teacher with red ink in hand ready to mark my masterpiece?

No comments:

Post a Comment